Before get into the talk of the causes of skin stretched marks, lets first see what are the stretched marks on skin.
- Stretched marks develop as a result of sudden rapid stretching of skin due to pregnancy and sudden weight gain.
- This sudden burden on skin cause the middle layer to tear, due to which the inner skin layer show through and form stretched marks on your skin.
- Note additional important point that the skin middle layer, the dermis, have strong and interconnected fibers that allows your skin to stretched as your body grow.
- Any growth due to weight gain or pregnancy that the dermis cannot tolerate make it tear and result in the stretched marks on skin, due to the breakage of the elastic fiber connective tissues.
- This breakage of dermis allow the blood vessels to show through the tear region, that is the reason that the stretched marks shows redness or purple color, when they initially appear.
- Afterwards the blood vessels contract, this make the pale color fat layer visible and your stretched marks turns silver white.
06 causes of skin stretched marks.
- Pregnancy: 8 out of 10 women develop stretched marks in the later stages of pregnancy. During pregnancy your body produce hormones that softens the ligaments in pelvis to facilitate delivery. However, these hormones also softens the strong connective tissue in the dermis, the middle layer of skin, making the possibility of developing stretched marks. That is the reason that you develop stretched marks on your tummy, as the baby grows and also on your breasts and thighs as they gain weight.
- Sudden weight gain/ weight loss: A sudden increase in weight or decrease so the same mechanism, as mentioned, To prevent skin stretched marks, plan your diet so that sudden weight gain can be avoided. If you are planning for weight loss, go for it step by step, to counter this skin issue.
- Puberty: During puberty when your body go through sudden changes and your body gets masculine, stretched marks develop on your skin. Boys develop stretched marks on their shoulders and back while girls develop it on hips, thighs and breasts.
- Family history: Most common in women, if your mother have stretched marks, you are more prone to develop skin stretched marks.
- Medical conditions: Their are two rare body conditions, due to which you can produce skin stretched marks, one is cushing,s syndrome, in this condition your body produce above normal amount of hormone, the cortisol, which can potentially develops stretched marks on your skin. Second is marfan syndrome, this is your body condition that makes the connective tissue of the dermis weaken and you develop stretched marks on your skin.
- Use of topical corticosteriods: Corticosteriods are used to lessen the skin inflammatory conditions like eczema. however it weakens the collagen in your skin, resulting in this condition of skin.