A sore throat is not uncommon. The majority, rather all of us are facing it at least once a year. The symptoms of a sore throat are scratchy throat and it hurts when you swallow something. Let's talk,
- how can you smooths a sore throat?
- When is it a sign of throat infection?
The majority of the sore throats are caused by viral infections and it recovers with time. Now, let's see, how can you lessen its symptoms and can differentiate a sore throat from sore infection.
- Keep throat Moist: You will have absorbed that soar throat symptoms are worse when you get ou of sleep. It is because your throat is dry at this time. Chewing lozenges and hard candies stimulate the production of Saliva and keep your throat moist. In this way, it helps you to smooths a sore throat. Taking plenty of liquids also helps you fro the proper moisturization of your throat and helps you to manage the symptoms of a sore throat.
- For children try cold drinks and popsicles instead of lozenges. It can also smooth by the use of over the counter sprays and some medications like ibuprofen and acetaminophen or Asprin. Please remember, that Aspirin should not be given to children.
- If the symptoms of a sore throat remain for few days and you are suffering from fever as well, then consult your Doctor, for the possibility of a throat infection. Bacteria like Strep may infect your throat in addition to the viral infections. Doctors recommend treatment on an indivitual basis to cure the bacterial infections and commonly they prescribe some sorts of Antibiotics.
- Strep is the most common infection of the throat and is more common in children than Adults, as the immune system of children is at this stage not fully develop. Strep in children is commonly confused with Cold in children as both have apparent same symptoms, like a runniny nose. Some symptoms differentiate the strep throat infection from cold and these are nausea, vomiting stomach pain, swollen throat glands and a body temperature of above 100.4 F.
- From a throat swab pathological tests, a Doctor will confirm the strep infection. After, treatment of Antibiotics, you will feel better after 24 hours. Remember, to take the full dose of Antibiotics as prescribed by the Doctor, to fully cover the symptoms and cure a sore throat.
- Strep throat should be treated as soon as possible due to two major reasons. One it can be transmitted from one individual to another and secondly, untreated strep throat infection can lead to serious complications. The complications that can be developed from an untreated sore throat are ear infections, rheumatic fever, and kidney health issues.
- Tonsillitis is also a kind of infection that causes a sore throat. Its symptoms are swollen tonsils and its causes are among others viruses and bacteria, same as of a sore throat. If you are consistently facing the issue of tonsillitis, you may in severe cases have to undergo surgery of tonsils.
Precautions to prevent a sore throat:
- Wash your hands regularly, to avoid the cause of the infection of a sore throat.
- Steer clear of people having the sore throat so that the infection can not be transmitted to you.
- Avoid smoking and second hand smoking so that you can keep your throat soothes.
Quick and at home sore throat relief:
- Try hot tea with lemon or soup with lemon.
- Keep that moist by taking lozenges and hard candies.
- Use ice chips to soar your throat.
- Gargle with warm salt water, to make throat normal.
- Over the counter sprays and pain relievers can also help you.
- Cold liquids and popsicles can also help you.
- Use a humidifier, to keep the throat moist, while you are at sleep.
- If the symptoms remain for few days, then consult your Doctor.